Just like in the fashion world, home decor trends cycle back and forth over the years. Some come and go quickly while others have lasting power. I always feel that the best trends have roots in classic and traditional styles while still bringing something fresh and modern to the surface.
Over the past couple of years, I think we’ve seen a movement away from minimalist interiors and white walls toward more traditional spaces with color, pattern and patina. When I say “patina,” think barn wood, aged brass, gently warn antiques and reclaimed bricks. I think this rich, warm style is going to continue! Juxtaposing old with new and worn with shiny is such a great way to add character to a home and creates that “collected over time” look that I love.
Below are six things that represent home decor trends that I think will remain current for a long while.
- Brass finishes and traditional shapes aren’t going anywhere! Brass pairs beautifully with jewel tones and adds so much life and warmth to a space. Notice how the simple shade keeps the lamp modern. We’ll be seeing vintage brass pieces and aged brass finishes on lighting and fixtures for a few years to come. Brass table lamp
- Block prints have been popular for a while and the trend is holding up well. These prints blend seamlessly with traditional or more modern spaces and the hand stamped look adds so much charm. You’ll find these in both large scale and small prints and they can skew toward casual or have a more sumptuous look and feel. Pillow fabric available to the trade
- Peacock blue has always been a favorite of mine. Paint your walls in this gorgeous Beau Green by Benjamin Moore for lots of drama or put a pair of blue velvet pillows on your beige sofa to liven it up.
- Natural wood and in particular, unfinished wood, is becoming very popular in kitchen and bathrooms. While white cabinetry will always be classic, wood has a patina and old world look that’s very cozy and appealing. Vanity available to the trade
- Wallpaper is having a huge resurgence and there are so many gorgeous patterns to choose from. This peacock blue with pink birds is unabashedly feminine and sophisticated. Use it in a powder room or in a master closet! Tori Teal Wallpaper
- Performance fabrics are such an amazing technology and they just keep getting better and better. Kids? So what. Wine? Who cares. They’re available in so many colors and patterns there’s no excuse not to cover your entire house in them. Muddy paws? Bring it on. Kashmir Elephant Fabric
What do you think of these trends? Are you a fan of peacock blue? I’ve been dying to repaper my bathroom and I might be leaning toward something bold like this 🙂
Want to freshen up your home? Let’s start with a two hour, in-home consultation. Learn more here.